Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks For The Simple Things In Life

Today in many homes across America, family and friends gather to celebrate this holiday that we call "Thanksgiving."  As we sit down to enjoy a home-cooked meal with all the trimmings, sip on wine or hot chocolate, watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and maybe a little bit of football, and get started on decking the halls with decorations galore, I am humbled and grateful for the little things that have come to mean the world to me and my family.

I am thankful for our house that we call a home.  It's small, cozy, and has all the amenities that our family could ever need.  The rooms are warm, lived-in, and always has a stray toy left behind from the day's playtime, the walls are covered with photos of our children and their smiles, the furniture is used daily and has wear and tear as evidence, our treasured wall paintings are the kiddos' masterpieces, every corner and floor molding has bumps and scraped paint from my son's cars and trucks, the refrigerator is covered from top to bottom with my daughter's artwork, our bed always has a doll or two on it and is never Martha Stewart perfect, there are always crayons on the coffee table and/or dinner table, and books can always be found on the sofas or living room floor.  That's our home - untidy but filled with love!

I am thankful for my family's health.  Although my two boys were preemies and developed bronchiolitis, I am grateful that they are able to be comforted with breathing treatments.  My children are going through a picky-eating phase.  And though they don't eat much of their food during meals, I am thankful that they do have food to eat so that they can grow up to be big and strong.  I was born in a small village in the Philippines where my family was considered wealthy by the country's standards.  I remember children were always outside our house waiting to see if my grandparents would invite them in to eat our left overs.  If we didn't have any, the children would go hungry that evening.  I still get teary-eyed whenever I think about those same kids who are my children's ages.  My heart aches for them knowing that they would give anything for a small bite to eat.  I am very lucky to be able to provide my children with this simple comfort.

I am thankful that I am able to stay home with my kids, to play with them, to teach them, to be a part of their growth every minute of every day.  I love seeing how happy they are with what they have, how they see everyone they meet as their "new friend," and how they don't think that someone is this or that - they are people same as them.  Every day, they teach me the values of patience, understanding, and forgiveness.

I am thankful for my wonderful husband and best friend.  My children are so blessed to have a Daddy who plays with them, reads to them, feeds and bathes them, clean dirty cloth diapers, helps with the dishes and laundry and still finds the time to upkeep our home and cars.  And did I mention that he also puts up with my crazy, off-the-wall, silly, and moody self?

I am thankful to God for blessing me with these little but wonderful joys.  I am not worthy of all this awesomeness, but I am eternally grateful for having been given the chance to have a happy life.  May you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving, filled with your own little greatness!




0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...