Monday, February 06, 2012

Minimalist Monday: Taking The Simple Living Pledge

I recently stumbled upon a blog that couldn't be more perfect when it comes to following my philosophy on keeping life simple and minimal.  It's called Kanelstrand, named after Cinnamon Beach in Norway.  Owned and written by Sonya, this blog is filled with lots of posts on simplifying the life of human beings, as her tagline cleverly states.  

On February 1, Sonya started a Simple Living Challenge, and for 3 weeks, she will be going over different viewpoints to attaining a simple life and challenging her readers to follow through with these obstacles.  You can take the pledge and join Sonya in achieving your goal to a more simple lifestyle.  By pledging, you promise to live simple(r) through:
  • decluttering
  • using less
  • learning to be sustainable in all aspects of life
  • slowing down and finding joy in the little things
  • reconnecting with your inner-self
  • spending more time with loved ones
  • elevating experiences above possessions
It's never easy to just step back from our every day lives, slow down a little, and just breathe.  As a parent, there is always something to do.  Regardless if you're working or not, at home or out in the workforce, 24 hours doesn't seem to ever be enough time to finish all of the bullet points on the "Today's To-Do" list.  And when you do decide to slow down, it seems as if you can't ever relax and not stress out about that to-do list, because you know that when the mellow time is over, that list is still there, waiting to be marked off.

To me, this Simple Living Pledge is so much more than just something to motivate me to do what I've always known I needed to do, which is to enjoy the moments in life, small and big.  It's also a reminder that sweating the small stuff in life just takes years out of you, and instead of living life with your children, you're just watching the days dwindle away, taking care of those unimportant things that your little ones won't care about when they're older.  I don't want to be the Mom they remember as the one who does their laundry, cooks their food, or cleans up after them.  I want to be the Mommy who sits beside them as they play with building blocks and puzzles, read a book to them and listen to them learn to read, sing songs with them (off-key), laugh with them at things they find funny even if I don't get it, color and paint their masterpieces, and teach them about life.  And I can't do that when my mind is always on the dishes that need to be washed, the floors that have to be mopped, and the toys that need to be picked up every second of the day.  I'm not getting any younger, and neither are my children.  By taking the pledge, I am making a promise to myself to put all my energy into growing with my children and not just watching them from afar.

If you're ready to live a simpler life and refocus on the more important, intangible things, take the pledge!  I dare you!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...