Wednesday, February 22, 2012

World Thinking Day

This past January, I helped start my daughter's Girl Scout Kindergarten Daisy troop at our church.  Along with getting overloaded with information about leader training, uniforms, camps, etc., I've been learning more and more about how perfect my new role as the troop leader is in conjunction to having a blog that focuses on and promotes sustainable living.

Part of my role as a leader is familiarizing myself with different activities and events that troops worldwide participate in, including an important one today called World Thinking Day.  On February 22nd every year, Girl Scouts and Girl Guides worldwide celebrate today as a way to express their appreciation for the international friendships they have made through various journeys they have taken.


I'm especially excited about today's Thinking Day as the theme this year is:  We Can Save Our Planet!  When you have 5 and 6-year-olds in an organization, it's not always easy to teach them about living a green life.  I always hope they will remember something...anything...I have said, even if they don't know what it means.  But, you would be surprised to know just how much they actually do take in.  My 5-year-old daughter (and 3-year-old) son have now become so accustomed to using reusable bags when we go shopping that they have their own bags in the car ready to bring along, even if they come out of the store with nothing in them.


I find myself surprised and proud at times when they showing me an empty box or plastic container and excitedly say, "Mommy, this goes in the recycling bin."  They are familiar with our compost bin in the backyard and enjoy picking up the fallen leaves on our yard, placing them in their wagons and taking them to the compost pile.  The other day while we were having dinner, I went to the living room to turn on the lights as it just seemed too dark in the house.  The kids literally yelled at me and told me that I was wasting electricity having the lights on when no one was in the room.  I guess they have been listening  this whole time when I've reminded them to turn the lights off.  

World Thinking Day is not just for Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.  It's for everyone to think just how important it is for us to be careful with our planet.  It's the only one we have, and if we want the generations after us to enjoy it as much as we have, it's imperative and critical that we all do what we can  to keep it green and clean.  We don't all have to recycle, carpool, compost, or have our drinks in reusable cups.  But if we as adults all did one little thing to be more Earth-conscious, imagine the difference it would make for our planet and how much we can influence the younger generation to do the same.

On this day, think about our world.  Think about your talents and abilities and what you can do to reduce your carbon footprint.  Think about all the children that can benefit from your choice to live a greener lifestyle.  You...we...can all make a difference!  We just have to the first step towards the right direction!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...