Having been born in a small village off the China Sea in the third-world country of the Philippines and knowing that even now, you can only get good, clean drinking water by going across a muddy river to the closest "shopping" town, I find myself blessed and thankful every day for the clean water that comes out of the tap here in my American home.
Many people in many little villages all across the world find themselves in the same predicament as the people in my birth town still do these days: where do they get clean, disease-free water for themselves and for their children?
charity: water is a non-profit organization founded by one man, Scott Harrison, with one vision - to help provide clean drinking water to developing countries. As of January this year, 6,185 water projects have been funded through charity: water. In 5 short years, more than $40 million have been raised to create 91 projects in clinics and hospitals, 703 projects in schools, and 5,391 projects in communities. Here's a short video to show you how water changes everything and just how important water is to the families of these impoverished countries.
What can you do to help?
- Donate to water projects: 100% of your donation will directly fund water project costs like pump heads, cement, pipes and local staffs. 100% of this gift is tax-deductible.
- Sponsor a water project: 100% of your donation will fund a water project for a village, school or clinic in a developing country.
- Donate as a gift: Make a donation and dedicate it to a friend or loved one. All donations are tax-deductible.
- Volunteer: If you live in the NYC area, join other charity: water volunteers and supporters for monthly get togethers.
- Water for Schools: Start your own school campaign or find a group of students in your area to help raise awareness and funds for water projects.
- Fundraise: Whether you want to help raise money on your own (i.e. running or biking events, to "receive" in lieu of birthday presents, etc), with co-workers, church members, or your family, any amount goes a long way.
- Share the charity:water videos and campaign trailers on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and/or on your blog.
- Shop the charity:water store where your purchases go towards water projects worldwide.
- Help spread the word by grabbing the charity:water banners and placing them on your blog, site, and social media pages.
- Download a Twitter background.
- Download images to print posters you can hang at your kids' schools, work, church, etc.
- Head on over to purchase modern baby products from ModParent. For the month of March, 10% of their profits will go to charity:water.
We all don't have the means or time to give back as much as we would like, but there are so many different ways we can spread the word of just about anything that is near and dear to our hearts just by using our computers and the Internet. Share the charity:water website link, this post, or even just the video, and you've already done more than you thought you could.