Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Save The Date: "One Day Without Shoes" Event by Toms

April 10.  Does that date ring a bell or mean anything to you?  Maybe it's your birthday or anniversary.  Or maybe it doesn't have any significance at all.  In the last few years, do you remember a day when you noticed people walking around without shoes on and thought, "What are they doing?  Are they crazy?"

Honestly, it wasn't until last year that I recall getting on Facebook and seeing on my friends' walls asking if anyone knew why people at work, on campus, or at the grocery store were casually walking around with no shoes on.  Naturally I was intrigued and wanted to give them an answer, so I went on the Internet and found out about Toms "One Day Without Shoes" event going on that day.  Started five years ago, Toms began a campaign with one goal in mind:  to make people aware of the significance one pair of shoes has on the life of a child!  


Be it construction boots, high heels, or school shoes, we put them on without a single thought and walk out the door.  Yet in other parts of the world, or maybe just down the street, there's a child who is walking around barefoot, needing just one pair to protect such an important part of his or her body.  You'd be amazed at how walking around for one day without any shoes on can set great things in motion.  One question...one conversation...one person wondering if they can do something to help - one small action that will make all the difference in the world in the life of one child!  Now imagine everyone - anyone - who has a closet full of shoes do the same thing.

"One Day Without Shoes" is not about disgusting people.  Or is it?  If you see someone walking on a dirty floor with no shoes on and were repulsed by it, perhaps that quick second of disgust will make you think about the children out there who live that way every second of every minute of every day.  My husband has on more than one occasion called me a germaphobe.  With two young boys diagnosed with bronchiolitis, I have a tendency to want and keep our home clean.  It's part of my maternal nature to look out for their health and well-being.  So, is it difficult for me to encourage others to do something that I myself may have a hard time doing?   Of course! But, I get it.  I get the message behind "One Day Without Shoes."  I get it's importance.  I'm sure that there are other germaphobes like me who will read this and think, "Heck no.  I'm not doing that!" But when April 10 comes around, and even if I have no plans to be anywhere at all, I will do my best to let go of my germaphobic ways to do my part in this movement.  Maybe, just maybe, being in that situation for that short while is all it takes to get the ball rolling.

Stop by the Toms website to learn more about their "One for One" mission and enter for a chance to see firsthand how your Toms shoes purchase will impact a child's life.  A new winner is chosen every week.  Find an event in your town, or better yet - start one.  If you're a student, check out what you can do to participate in this momentous event!  One day.  April 10, 2012.  Will you join in to spread the word?  Will you help change the world that day?


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...