Monday, July 09, 2012

Minimalist Monday: The 100 Thing Challenge

A couple of weeks ago, I was browsing around Craigslist just checking out random things, and I came across a posting titled "We're Selling Everything!" I was immediately intrigued, because sometimes people will go into great detail as to why they are getting rid of everything. Most of the time it's because of a divorce or they're moving out of state or out of the country. Now that I think of it, it's kind of sad that I want to read that stuff, right? Crazy me! Anyhow, I clicked on the posting, and it turned out that this husband and wife team decided to take on The 100 Thing Challenge.


I'm sure there are other versions of this challenge, but this one in particular was started by Dave Bruno. Created for the purpose of minimizing his home and getting rid of things that didn't have a place in his life anymore, he challenged himself to only keep 100 things.
The goal of the 100 Thing Challenge is to break free from the confining habits of American-style consumerism. A lot of people around the world feel “stuck in stuff.” They feel like their closets and garages are too full of things that don’t really make their lives much better. But how to get unstuck?
                Reduce (get rid of some of your stuff)
                Refuse (to get more new stuff)
                Rejigger (your priorities)

So what does my family of 5 that is continually looking to better our lives and our planet decide to do? Well, we accepted the challenge, of course! We're still working out the logistics as far as what is considered personal to us, and what is in our "Absolutely Do Not Touch" pile, but we're definitely ready to get started. In the meantime, we're asking ourselves all sorts of questions:

  • Is this 100 items per family member?
  • Do collections (like old baseball cards or unopened Barbie dolls) count as one item or are not to be touched at all?
  • Are clothing accessories (like belts, hats, scarves, etc.) considered as one thing?
  • What about photos and the albums or boxes they are in - are those off the list as well?

Are you curious as to whether or not this may be something you'd be interested in participating in? Whatever you decide to keep is all up to you. This challenge is not just for families or couples, so if you're single, your questions may be different all together. With kids, it's easy and hard at the same time. If it was up to me, I'd get rid of all their toys. Sad, but true! I can't step into any room of our house without finding at least one toy in there. Scattered toys have become a huge pet peeve of mine! But, I know the kids love their toys, and I would never take away things that give them joy, except for maybe 99 of them. Just kidding!

So this week, the hubby and I are coming up with our list of things to get rid of, and we're hoping to get started as soon as possible. I'll write another post when we've put our list together and share it with you. If you are thinking about taking on this challenge, share with me your list. I'd love to see what you've decided to not keep anymore. Good luck!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...